Around the year 1840 the plans were made for a chapel on Vorderberg. Under pastor Lorenz Thein, who was at Marktheidenfeld from 1888 to 1908, the plans were realized with the help of many voluntary workers from Marktheidenfeld, Erlenbach and Tiefenthal. In the year of 1890 the Kreuzberg Chapel was inaugurated. Since then the hill has this name.
The original neo-Gothic altar was replaced in 1938 under pastor Josef Ruf by a Baroque altar which came from the parish church of Waldbüttelbrunn.
In the 1980s the chapel was restored under pastor Karl Rost and is since then a favorite place especially for weddings.